Monday, March 30, 2009

eating habits

I've never gone this long without cooking. I think one of the most difficult things about this trip for me is the lack of control I have over what I'm eating. Ben and I try to buy groceries for ourselves when we can, as mini-fridges are standard in even the most modest lodgings, but we are still ignorant about the ingredients in most things. Even our standard choice of yogurt for breakfasts contains many unknown ingredients. At best we can decide what flavor we think it will be. Label illiteracy is pretty frustrating.

In our first week it was so exciting to try all the crazy snacks and candy. In Tokyo we filled a shopping basket with random things to try, and brought our kill back to the room to sample. As the days ticked by, shopping trips became quests to supplement our restaurant fare with healthy necessities. Proteins, fruits, and vegetables became our trophies. And peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Compare week one with week three:

(ignore the apple, it was a fluke)


(ignore the sake, it was for my birthday)


When I get back, just try to drag me out of the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment