Monday, March 16, 2009

We made it to Kyoto! I have many things to say about our last two days in Tokyo and our first days here, but am having a few technical difficulties getting this ryokan's internet to talk with my poor old laptop.

As a quick update, Kyoto is a very different kind of city than Tokyo. Ben and I have spent a lot of time discussing what these distinctions seem to be, but have still not been able to fully distill our ideas about it. It is quite a puzzling place with some pretty dramatic dichotomies. You can't help but trip over temples and shrines around almost every corner; but for all these abundant sites of ancient spirituality, the overall vibe of the city is something unexpected. The exact adjective for the vibe is still under debate, so we'll let you know as soon as we figure it out.

I had my favorite meal last night of the whole trip. You can be sure I've devoted a full post to it, with details later. I am also hoping to add pictures today!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read your blog! Thanks for keeping us all updated. I'm curious to hear from Benjamin. How does it feel to be in Japan after studying it for so many years? Looking forward to the photos! - Naomi

    ReplyDelete