Sunday, March 22, 2009

how to keep Gretchen entertained for two hours



On our train trip from Kyoto to Nagasaki (about five hours total, mostly by bullet train (wahoo!)) I was finally able to use a mysterious kit of "make your own sushi" that Meridith had picked up in the candy aisle during our first week in Tokyo. Even after she left, and Ben and I moved to the next town, I couldn't bring myself to throw away the DIY candy sushi, even though the box was so bulky. Finally I would have several captive hours, and my only book (the Thin Man) had to be rationed out.

After studying the back of the box, and poking Ben from his gameboy stupor to read me some of the directions, I set to work. It was a carefully designed plastic tray with specific compartments for each packet of dry powder, which mixed with water yielded: rice, egg omelet, salmon roe, tuna. There was also a small dark green cube to be rolled out for the seaweed. It was all so very cool, and I was completely absorbed for two hours. Ben kindly documented the results:










I think it was mostly for looking at, not for eating. Bleh!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a great blog. I am most envious of your trip. Though Japan is not high on my list of places to visit in the world, your blog is generating reconsideration. I also admire your high sense of adventure. Keep it up. I'll be back.

    PS: Be wary of the sushi made from blowfish.

    ReplyDelete